Ricardo A. Moreno-Rodríguez, Ph.D.
Research Assistant Professor
Room 604F, Children's Research Institute
Office: (843) 792-1544
Education:B.S. Universidad Autónoma de México. Biology. 1979
M.S. CINVESTAV-IPN, México Cellular Biology. 1985
Ph.D. Universidad Autónoma de México. Cellular Biology. 1997
PostDoc Medical University of South Carolina. Cell Biol. & Anat. 1999-2003
I have been member of Markwald’s group and my research is focusing on the mechanisms of normal/abnormal development of the heart with special focus on: outlet, AV region and inter-atrial septation, most of which has a myocardial-endocardial interaction inducing epithelial-mesenchymal transformation (EMT) with invasion to the extracellular matrix (EMC). I used the chick/quail, zebra fish and mouse embryo as a model system.
Our efforts are resulted in following discovery:
- In 1997 we described a previously unappreciated asymmetrical distribution of mesenchymal cell in the early inferior and superior cushion of the atrioventricular canal, suggesting a differential molecular mechanism which might governs this important step in the formation of the valvular apparatus of the heart.
- One important finding is the description of the primitive interventricular septum (PIV), structure together with the AV cushion that form almost the entire inter-ventricular septum.
- In 2001 we published that the outflow track is added to the primitive heart tube from a cephalic mesodermal source defined as anterior/secondary heart forming region (AHR). This AHR together with the primary heart fields, during the formation of early heart, fuses as bidirectional fashion, resembling a butterfly shaped structure (2005).
- On 2005, we described the role of periostin, a glycoprotein abundant on the extracellular matrix of the cushion tissue, the knout-out of this protein results on inter-atrial septal defect and leaflet defect equivalent to Ebstein’s anomaly.
- On 2012 we show that the coronary arteries arise from endocardial source, this finding was a surprise, because was though that all coronary vessel came from the epicardial tissue and from the endothelium of the sinus venous.
- Moreno-Rodriguez R.A., and Krug E.L. (2015) Cardiovascular Development. Reference Module in Biomedical Sciences. Elsevier. 08-July-15 doi: 10.1016/B978-0-12-801238-3.02014-6.
- Misra S, Hascall VC, Atanelishvili I, Moreno Rodriguez RA, Markwald RR, Ghatak S. (2015). Utilization of GAGs/PGs as carriers for targeted therapy delivery. International Journal of Cell Biology.
- Shibnath Ghatak, Maytin EV, Mack JA, Hascall VC, Moreno Rodriguez RA, Markwald RR, Misra S. (2015). Roles of proteoglycans and glycosaminoglycans in wound healing and fibrosis. International Journal of Cell Biology.
- Ghatak S, Misra S, Norris RA, Moreno-Rodríguez R A, , Hoffman S, Levine AL, Hascall VC, Markwald RR. (2014). Periostin induces intracellular cross talk between kinases and hyaluronan in atrioventricular. Valvulogenesis. J. Biol. Chem 289(12):8545-61. PMID: 24469446; PMCID: PMC3961678.
- Kasyanov V, Moreno-Rodriguez RA, Kalejs M, Ozolanta I, Stradins P, Wen X, Yao H and Mironov V. (2013). Age related analysis of structural, biochemical and mechanical properties of the porcine mitral heart valve leaflets. Connective Tissue Research: 1-29. PMID: 23869611
- Wu B, Zhang Z, Lui W, Chen X, Wang Y, Chamberlain AA, Moreno-Rodriguez RA, Markwald RR, O’Rourke BP, Sharp DJ, Zheng D, Lenz J, Baldwin HS, Chang CP, Zhou B. (2012) Endocardial cells form the coronary arteries by angiogenesis through Myocardial-Endocardial VEGF Signaling. Cell 151:1083-1096. PMCID: PMC 3508471.
- Kasyanov V, Brakke K., Vilbrandt T, Moreno-Rodriguez R, Nagy-Mehesz A, Visconti R, Markwald R, Ozolanta I, Rezende R.A,. Lixandrão Filho AL, Inforçati Neto P, Pereira FDAS, Kemmoku DT, da Silva JVL & Mironov V. (2011): Toward organ printing: Design characteristics, virtual modelling and physical prototyping vascular segments of kidney arterial tree. Virtual and Physical Prototyping, 6:4, 197-213. ISSN 1745-2767.