Ann F. Ramsdell, Ph.D.
Adjunct Associate Research Professor
Member of Hollings Cancer Center
MUSC Office: BSB639B, Phone: 792-1620
USC SOM Office Phone: (803) 216-3892
See Dr. Ramsdell recently speaking about her lab's research at TEDxColumbiaSC 2015.
My lab investigates how the vertebrate embryonic body plan becomes established and how positional information controls organ development and disease susceptibility. One of our particular interests is the role of left-right patterning in mammary gland development and breast cancer. Using in vivo and in vitro mouse models, we have been the first to show that mammary glands have baseline differences in cellular and molecular composition that are left-right independently regulated during normal and neoplastic development. Furthermore, we have found that the left-right differences identified in mouse models are predictive of breast cancer patient survival, suggesting that tumor laterality plays an important but underappreciated role in disease progression and outcome. Our most recent work focuses on epigenetic regulation of mammary stem cells and how this relates to left-right differences that arise during mammary development and mammary oncogenesis.
- Robichaux JP, Hallet RM, Fuseler JW, Hassell JA, Ramsdell AF. (2014) Mammary glands exhibit molecular laterality and undergo left-right asymmetric growth in MMTV-cNeu mice. Oncogene, 2015 Apr 9;34(15):2003-10. [PMID: 24909172]
- *Fuseler JW, *Robichaux JP, Atiyah HI, Ramsdell AF. (2014) Morphometric and fractal dimension analysis identifies early neoplastic changes in mammary epithelium of MMTV-cNeu mice. Anticancer Research 34:1171-1177. [PMCID: 24596356] *Equal contribution
- Veltmaat, J. M., A. F. Ramsdell and E. Sterneck. "Positional Variations in Mammary Gland Development and Cancer." J Mammary Gland Biol Neoplasia 18, no. 2 (2013): 179-88 [PMID: 23666389]
- Martin, L. K., M. Bratoeva, N. V. Mezentseva, J. M. Bernanke, M. C. Remond, A. F. Ramsdell, C. A. Eisenberg and L. M. Eisenberg. "Inhibition of Heart Formation by Lithium Is an Indirect Result of the Disruption of Tissue Organization within the Embryo." Dev Growth Differ 54, no. 2 (2012): 153-66 [PMID: 22150286]
- Martin, L. K., N. V. Mezentseva, M. Bratoeva, A. F. Ramsdell, C. A. Eisenberg and L. M. Eisenberg. "Canonical Wnt Signaling Enhances Stem Cell Expression in the Developing Heart without a Corresponding Inhibition of Cardiogenic Differentiation." Stem Cells Dev 20, no. 11 (2011): 1973-83 [PMID: 21351874]
- Ramsdell, A. F., J. M. Bernanke and T. C. Trusk. "Left-Right Lineage Analysis of the Embryonic Xenopus Heart Reveals a Novel Framework Linking Congenital Cardiac Defects and Laterality Disease." Development 133, no. 7 (2006): 1399-410 [PMID: 16527986]
- Chen, Y., L. L. Whitaker and A. F. Ramsdell. "Developmental Analysis of Activin-Like Kinase Receptor-4 (Alk4) Expression in Xenopus Laevis." Dev Dyn 232, no. 2 (2005): 393-8 [PMID: 15614766]
- Ramsdell, A. F. "Left-Right Asymmetry and Congenital Cardiac Defects: Getting to the Heart of the Matter in Vertebrate Left-Right Axis Determination." Dev Biol 288, no. 1 (2005): 1-20 [PMID: 16289136]
- Ramsdell, A. F., J. M. Bernanke, J. Johnson and T. C. Trusk. "Left-Right Lineage Analysis of Av Cushion Tissue in Normal and Laterality Defective Xenopus Hearts." Anat Rec A Discov Mol Cell Evol Biol 287, no. 2 (2005): 1176-82 [PMID: 16294330]
- Tiedeken, J. A., J. S. Ramsdell and A. F. Ramsdell. "Developmental Toxicity of Domoic Acid in Zebrafish (Danio Rerio)." Neurotoxicol Teratol 27, no. 5 (2005): 711-7 [PMID: 16061356]
- Chen, Y., E. Mironova, L. L. Whitaker, L. Edwards, H. J. Yost and A. F. Ramsdell. "Alk4 Functions as a Receptor for Multiple Tgf Beta-Related Ligands to Regulate Left-Right Axis Determination and Mesoderm Induction in Xenopus." Dev Biol 268, no. 2 (2004): 280-94 [PMID: 15063168]
- Ramsdell, A. F. and H. J. Yost. "Cardiac Looping and the Vertebrate Left-Right Axis: Antagonism of Left-Sided Vg1 Activity by a Right-Sided Alk2-Dependent Bmp Pathway." Development 126, no. 23 (1999): 5195-205 [PMID: 10556046]
- Ramsdell, A. F., R. A. Moreno-Rodriguez, M. M. Wienecke, Y. Sugi, D. K. Turner, C. H. Mjaatvedt and R. R. Markwald. "Identification of an Autocrine Signaling Pathway That Amplifies Induction of Endocardial Cushion Tissue in the Avian Heart." Acta Anat (Basel) 162, no. 1 (1998): 1-15 [PMID: 9789103]
- Ramsdell, A. F. and H. J. Yost. "Molecular Mechanisms of Vertebrate Left-Right Development." Trends Genet 14, no. 11 (1998): 459-65 [PMID: 9825674]
- Ramsdell, A. F. and R. R. Markwald. "Induction of Endocardial Cushion Tissue in the Avian Heart Is Regulated, in Part, by Tgfbeta-3-Mediated Autocrine Signaling." Dev Biol 188, no. 1 (1997): 64-74 [PMID: 9245512]